Spicy Turkey Soup with White Beans – Perfect for Leftover Turkey
The day after Thanksgiving we love to make different soups with all the leftover turkey. (Make sure you make extra turkey on Thanksgiving for some yummy soup!)
We also love to make these delicious hot turkey slider sandwiches with stuffing that you can check out here.
This healthy and tasty soup is just one great way to use up leftover holiday turkey. Here, traditional egg noodles are replaced with white beans and spinach for a hearty and delicious soup.
Delicious and Healthy Turkey Soup with White Beans is Perfect for a Weeknight dinner.
- 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onions , diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 large leeks, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 small carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby spinach, coarsley chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 ” Parmesan cheese rind
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, then add garlic, onion, leeks, carrots, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and develop a bit of color, approximately 6 - 8 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Add bay leaves, dried herbs, and cayenne pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the herbs become fragrant.
Add chicken stock, Parmesan rind, water, and cannellini beans to the pot. Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a rolling boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.
Add shredded turkey and spinach to the pot and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the spinach wilts and the turkey is heated through. Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Serve immediately with some shaved Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
You can freeze leftover cooked turkey to use later if you don’t have time to prepare fresh, homemade soup. Simply shred the turkey and place in freezer bags in the amount you want to use.
Optional Garnish for Soup:
Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
Fresh parsley, chopped
- If you find you want a stronger chicken broth flavor add a few teaspoons of chicken soup base while the soup is simmering.