The more you hear and read these days about diet, the more you see the Mediterranean diet is encouraged for better health. More fruits, vegetables and nuts in addition to less or no sugar, starch and processed foods. This Cabbage Carrot Salad Recipe is perfect for those that want to change their diet and eat healthier!
Cabbage and Carrot Salad Recipe with a Delicious Lemon Tahini Dressing – Vegetarian and Vegan Salad Recipe
Salads are a simple solution to better health because you control the ingredients, dressing, and salt & sugar that goes into your salad. Filling your salad bowl with a variety of fruits and vegetable and nuts is actually a delicious way to get more fiber and nutrients into your diet
Salads are also a great way to experiment with what works for you and learn more about what mix of ingredients you will enjoy eating together.
Ingredients Needed for Cabbage Carrot Salad:
- Red cabbage – rich is nutrients like vitamin C, K and also plenty of fiber
- Carrots – try to buy organic carrots – carrots are rich in vitamins A, K and C. Also contains healthy antioxidant of beta carotene.
- Green onions – green onions are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins A, C, and K. They also provide minerals like potassium and folate.
- Tahini – gluten free and rich in healthy fats
- Lemon – vitamin C
- Pumpkin seeds – magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, copper, zinc, and iron. They also provide protein, healthy fats, and dietary fiber.
- Dried cranberries – high in antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Fresh parsley – Parsley is a nutrient-dense herb, providing an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K. It also contains essential minerals such as potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium.
How to Make a Healthy Cabbage and Carrot Salad
- Combine cabbage, carrots, and green onions in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Toss to combine salad ingredients and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tahini and the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of water. Add up to an additional tablespoon, as needed, to reach a creamy consistency.
- Pour the tahini dressing over the salad and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, cranberries, and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Just a few simple steps makes a beautiful healthy salad that the whole family will love.
Beautiful and Healthy Salad with Red Cabbage and Carrots
- 1 small head of red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots - organic if possible peeled and sliced into very thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 fresh lemon juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons water as needed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Combine cabbage, carrots, and green onions in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Toss to combine salad ingredients and adjust seasoning as needed.
In a small bowl, whisk the tahini and the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of water. Add up to an additional tablespoon, as needed, to reach a creamy consistency.
Pour the tahini dressing over the salad and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, cranberries, and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
It has been said, to eat a healthy diet means eating all the colors in the rainbow. We think this salad is almost as beautiful as a rainbow and just filled with healthy colors. This recipe is packed with fresh flavors and so easy to make at home.
Tip on How to Add the Dressing to the Salad: Add the dressing to the salad a little bit at a time. Adjust if you need less, or if you need a little more.
How to Cut Cabbage for this Salad
- Remove any damaged out leaves of the cabbage
- Using a sharp knife, cut the cabbage into quarters
- Chop the quarters into thin shreds using the knife
Simple Short Cut for this Recipe
- Use prepacked sliced cabbage. Most prepackaged shredded cabbage also contains diced or shredded carrots as well.
- One 16 oz. bag should work fine for this recipe.
- Shred your cabbage and carrots a few days in advance and store in a resealable bag in the fridge.
You will Love Some of Our Healthy Salad Recipes:
All the healthy goodness of apples and celery in a crunchy salad – Delicious and Crunchy Apple Celery Salad Recipe
Make your favorite Caesar Salad in a Bag! Easy Caesar Salad Made in a Bag
Another yummy cabbage salad Asian Salad with Cabbage and Peanut Dressing