Grandmas Potato Soup
Who remembers Grandma’s Potato Soup? Nothing fancy, just a quick and clean soup made with a few simple and very cheap ingredients that tasted divine. Chunks of potatoes in a thin, milky-buttery broth …
It still only costs about $5.00 to purchase all the ingredients for this delicious basic soup, which makes this a great dinner option to save money on your weekly grocery budget.
One of our favorite all-time soups would have to be this easy potato soup just like grandma used to make. Tender chucks of potatoes cooked in buttered onions, seasoned lightly with salt & pepper.
Nothing fancy, just fresh white potatoes, butter and plenty of milk. Serve with homemade cheddar biscuits and you have an easy and delicious meal without a lot of fuss.
A delicious potato soup recipe just like your Grandma would of cooked.
- 3-4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2-1/4 lbs. Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Using a heavy soup pot or pan, cook onions in butter for about 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender. Add potatoes to the pan and lightly salt & pepper. Cook potatoes with the onions for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, parsley, salt and pepper to the pan with the potatoes. Bring to a light boil; reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.
Carefully mash about 1/2 of the potatoes with a fork or a potato masher. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
*SEE BELOW ON HOW TO THICKEN THE SOUP.
Fresh chunks of potatoes cooked with butter and onions. Simmer potatoes in a mixture of chicken broth and milk to make a thinner-broth soup or add a little flour to make your soup just a bit thicker.
For A Thicker Soup – mix one tablespoon of flour with about 4 tablespoons of hot broth. Bring the soup to a light simmer and stir in the flour mixture. Let soup cook for a few minutes to thicken.
Easy Additions to Grandma’s Potato Soup –
- Shredded Carrots
- Green Peas
- Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix
- Fresh Garlic
- Roasted Garlic