We love this delicious and healthy black bean and rice soup that is perfect for lunch or dinner. Swap out the chicken both for vegetable broth and you have a nutritious vegetarian meal.
Black Bean and Rice Soup Recipe – Perfect for a Healthy and Low-Cost Family Meal
Black beans, rice, tomatoes and spices make this low cost black bean and rice soup a perfect dish for a delicious family meal.
This yummy soup only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, and with a family of 4 you should have some leftover for the next day!
What to Serve with Black Bean and Rice Soup
The rice in this black bean soup stretches the soup a bit further and fills up those kids for hours. Serve a tossed salad with this soup and have a super-nourishing meal! Don’t forget the crackers or dinner rolls.
- Tossed Salad – filled with veggies
- Bread Sticks
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Black Bean Soup Ingredients to Gather –
Olive Oil – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Onion and Garlic – we like to use fresh garlic in this soup
White Rice – can use brown rice but soup would need to cook longer
Chicken Broth – organic if possible. Can substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth.
Black Beans – find your favorite brand. We love Bush’s black beans
Diced Tomato – petite diced tomatoes if you can find them
A healthy and delicious family meal of black bean and rice soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 quart chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans
- 1 (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 small lime
In a large skillet with a lid or soup pan, saute the onions in olive oil until soft.
Add the carrots to the pan and saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic during the last 30 seconds. Sprinkle carrots with salt and pepper.
Add rice to the pan and cook for about 2 more minutes, stirring continuously.
Add chicken broth, cumin, salt, and 1 can of rinsed black beans to the pan.
Stir and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for about 14 minutes.
Lightly mash the other can of rinsed black beans and add to the pot along with the tomatoes.
Squeeze in lime juice; stir and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
Sauté the onions until almost soft, next add the carrots and sprinkle with a little salt & pepper. Cook for a few minutes before adding the garlic and rice to the pan. Add the rice and continue to cook, stirring the rice often.
Soup makes a nourishing and healthy meal and is easy to make at home. You can save money, calories and sodium by making your own homemade soups. This black bean and rice soup is so simple to prepare, even a beginner soup maker can accomplish this!
What’s to Love About Black Beans –
Black beans are so easy to prepare and super-delicious, but did you know they are good for your digestive system? Beans are filled with fiber that keeps your colon nice and healthy. Beans are also loaded with iron and protein. You can also fill your tacos with black beans and toss on your healthy salads!
Why We Love this Black Bean and Rice Soup Recipe –
It’s very healthy to have meatless meals every week and this is a soup that not only is packed with nutrients, it’s filled with gut-loving fiber! This soup just makes you feel good because it’s a warm and nourishing soup.
Can You Freeze Black Bean Soup?
- Yes! This Soup Freezes well to be enjoyed later. How to Freeze and Reheat Soup.
To Freeze Soup:
- Allow the soup to cool completely before freezing.
- Pour the soup into an airtight container, leaving some room at the top to allow for expansion during freezing.
- Label the container with the name and date of the soup so you can keep track of it in the freezer.
- Place the container in the freezer and make sure it is stored upright.
To Reheat Soup:
- Remove the soup from the freezer and allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- If you need to reheat the soup quickly, you can also place the container in a bowl of hot water to speed up the thawing process.
- Once the soup is thawed, pour it into a pot and heat it over medium heat. Stir occasionally to ensure even heating.
- If the soup is too thick, you can add a little water or broth to thin it out.
- Soup can easily be reheated in the microwave as well.
Additions to your Black Bean and Rice Soup –
- Grated Cheese – Cheddar or Mexican Blend
- Sour Cream
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Saltine Crackers
- Hot Sauce
- Extra Black Beans