Crockpot White Bean and Rice Soup
Healthy soups are a now a popular choice for an easy dinner because they are inexpensive, healthy and filling for a great family meal.
This crockpot white bean soup is very easy to prepare, and when served with a healthy basic salad and bread, it’s a delicious dinner that even the kids will enjoy.
You can easily substitute red beans if your family likes those more than the white ones. Beans are high in nutrition and should be made a part of your weekly meal plans.
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, diced fine
- 1 small red pepper, cleaned, cored and diced
- 2 (15 oz) cans of white beans
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 ( 4 oz.) can green chiles
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1-1/2 cups Cheddar Jack Cheese
Add everything to the crockpot with the exception of the cheese, lime, uncooked rice and 1 cup of chicken broth.
Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 hours.
Cook rice in 1 cup of chicken broth for about 15 minutes. Add cooked rice to the crockpot about 30 minutes before finish time.
Right before you add the rice to the soup, take a potato masher and gently mash half of the soup. This can easily be done right in the crockpot.
Top each bowl of soup with cheese.
- We use and love Uncle Ben’s Rice for this soup recipe.