We love summer butternut squash soup with the freshness of summer garden squash. If no garden squash from your garden or local farmer’s market is available, just buy the fresh squash that is almost always available at your local grocery store!
How to Make the Best Vegan Butternut Squash Soup!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This vegan butternut squash soup is great anytime of the year, but especially during those colder nights. This dish has healthy ingredients, a bold taste, and is quick to make to boot. Pair it with a sandwich or salad to complete the perfect meal.
How to make squash soup from scratch
- Sauté the aromatics, ginger, squash, and lemongrass.
- Add the stock and cilantro before allowing the mixture to boil.
- Blend and return to the heat before adding the coconut milk.
- Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Ingredients for vegan squash soup
These are the ingredients used in this delicious, vegan soup recipe!
- Butternut Squash
- Coconut Milk
- Lemongrass OR Lemon Zest
- Vegetable Stock
- Olive Oil
Butternut Squash Soup is delicious anytime of the year. Better yet, it’s vegan and contains some very wholesome and nutritious ingredients! Rich in flavor, this recipe pairs perfectly with a sandwich.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 lb butternut squash
- 1 lemongrass stalk finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons lemon zest)
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Cilantro
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant.
Add the ginger and lemongrass. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Add the squash to the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the stock and cilantro. Bring to a low boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender enough for a fork to easily pierce. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Using an immersion blender, blend the squash mixture until smooth.
Return to the heat and add 3/4 of the can of coconut milk and reserve the rest for garnish. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Serve with shaved coconut, chopped cilantro, and chopped chilies if desired.
Butternut squash soup health benefits
Butternut squash is a very good source of beta carotene, as are other fruits and vegetables with a yellow hue. Beta-carotene converts to vitamin A when it becomes an antioxidant. Vitamin A is crucial for cell growth.
Vitamin A is also connected to eye, heart, lung, hair, and skin health as well as function. Butternut squash is also a good source of vitamin C. Vitamins C and B are essential for the basic health of humans. These minerals contribute to muscle hydration and muscle functionality.
How to Break down Butternut Squash?
Butternut squash is a fibrous fruit. When breaking down a butternut squash, you want to remove the skin and seeds and then do the following:
- Cut off both ends of the squash.
- With a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise from stem to base.
- Next, cut each piece of butternut squash crosswise into two pieces.
- Remove the seeds with your fingers or a spoon.
If you have a bread slicer or vegetable slicer, this is a great time to use it so you can cut the butternut squash instead of chopping it. This will help produce a smoother vegan butternut soup recipe. Slicing it this way will make it a bit easier to tackle as butternut squash can take a strong hand to cut through.
How to serve Roasted Butternut Squash Soup?
This soup is delicious as a starter, side, or main dish. When I make it the center of my meal, you can find me serving it with some good crusty bread like focaccia and avocado toast! Here are some ideas:
Serve topped with ground thyme powder or freshly chopped black pepper. You can use a side of crispy flatbread with this vegan butternut squash soup if you so desire, as well.
You could serve this soup in a bread bowl, with a sandwich, or by itself as a lighter meal. I tend to top mine with a bit of extra coconut milk, chopped chilis, or a bit of shredded coconut. Of course, this is a personal preference.
There are many ways to serve this smooth soup. In fact, you could even eat it chilled if you prefer a delicious soup for the warmer days.
How to store Your Butternut Squash Soup Vegan?
Store the vegan butternut soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze this Butternut squash soup recipe, thaw it out at a later date, and eat it whenever you want.
Butternut squash soup vegan can last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Eating vegan butternut squash soup is good for you, and it’s even better with some crispy flatbread by your side. This vegan butternut soup is not only delicious, but it does come with some health benefits like the ones I mentioned above.
Now that you know all there is to know about butternut squash and preparing this vegan butternut squash recipe, it’s time to gather up the ingredients listed below and get started!
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup?
Healthy Tossed Salad
Black Forest Ham Sandwich
- Chili pepper, sliced
- Coconut flakes
Squash Soup Tips:
- Instead of the butternut squash you can use any other pumpkin or squash in season. You can even use canned pumpkin and skip step 3.
- For added flavor, roast your squash for 10 minutes in the oven drizzled with some olive oil. Then add the squash to the soup and blend as instructed.
- Lemongrass can be found at most whole foods stores, or places that sell healthier options, such as health food stores. Walmart sometimes carries it as well.
- If you don’t want to use lemongrass or try to find it, simply use 2 teaspoons of lemon zest in its place.
- To thicken the soup, you can use a cornstarch slurry. Add a tablespoon of cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons of the soup in a cup. Stir well before adding back to the soup. Allow to simmer a while longer until thickened a bit more.
- Store in an airtight container, once cool, in the fridge, for 4-5 days. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months, in an airtight container.
- Coconut Milk is delicious and can be found easily in the Asian section of your grocery store or in the dairy section of the store.
You will Love Some of Our Soup Recipes: