We love this chicken wild rice soup made in the Instant Pot for a healthy and delicious meal.
Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup with Chicken Recipe
There is nothing better than a warm and nourishing bowl of soup for lunch or dinner. Now you don’t have to spend hours over the stove to make delicious soup – just use your pressure cooker and soup becomes so simple!
Soups are often a healthier option for dinner because they contain less fat and more nutrients. Homemade soups are perfect because you control the amount of sodium that goes into your soup creating a tasty soup that much better than the canned version.
So – take that Instant Pot out of the box and make this super-delicious soup!
Ingredients Needed for Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Boneless Chicken Breasts – can use chicken thighs instead
- Wild Rice – use your favorite brand of wild rice
- Portobello mushrooms
- Olive Oil – we use extra virgin olive oil
- Chicken Broth – or Chicken Stock
- Onion – we use yellow onion
- Spices – Dried thyme, Bay leaves, Fresh Parsley and Salt & Pepper
Easy chicken soup with wild rice made in your Instant Pot.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large stalks celery diced small
- 1 large carrot diced small
- 1 small white onion diced small
- 4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup wild rice blend rinsed
- 1 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to medium and once hot, add celery, carrots, and onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the veggies start to soften, approximately 3 minutes.
Add mushrooms and dried thyme. Stir to combine and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start to develop some color, approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn unit off.
Add wild rice, chicken breast, bay leaves, and broth to Instant Pot®. Add lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 30 minutes.
When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and carefully remove lid.
Transfer the chicken breast to a platter and shred with two forks. Return chicken to Instant Pot® and add fresh parsley. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine before serving. Enjoy!
Add Natural release: 10 minutes natural release to cooking time.
*This recipe was tested at 30 minutes active cook time. The rice is soft, but not overly mushy at this time setting. For firmer rice, reduce active time to 28 minutes.
Money-Saving Tip: Use a combination of chicken broth and water instead of all broth.
Do you LOVE cooking with your Instant Pot? Try these awesome recipes as well –