Easy Crockpot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Want a super easy dinner tonight? Make this delicious crockpot chicken and wild rice soup that only takes a few ingredients and a few simple steps to prepare.
Soups are a great dinner choice for the winter months, but they also do well in the summer when you want something healthy and filling without having to spend a lot of time … cooking!
Find a good organic chicken broth or save tons of money and make your own. Chicken broth is super simple to prepare and freezes well for future uses.
This is basically a drop and go soup! Drop the ingredients into your crockpot and go on your way!
A tasty chicken and wild rice soup that will keep even the coldest nights warm.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped very fine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, chopped small
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
Coat the bottom of the crockpot with oil.
Add the onions to the crockpot followed by the chicken pieces.
Stir in everything else with the exception of the half-and-half and Parmesan cheese.
Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. Remove chicken and shred with two forks and put back into the crockpot.
Add the half-and-half and Parmesan cheese. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- We have found that chopping the onions in a small food processor works the best for crockpot soups.
- Find a store (like Whole Foods) that sells rice by the pound. We love Whole Foods!
- Use organic fresh carrots if possible.
- If you want a thicker soup, mix 1 tablespoon of flour in small cup with about 2-3 tablespoons of the hot liquid. Stir this into the crockpot and let cook for about 15 additional minutes.
- When dealing with most soups, you may need to add additional liquid to make it more “soupy.” Rice and noodles will keep absorbing the liquid as the soups sits.
This Crockpot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is such a simple soup to prepare with fresh ingredients that are healthy and filling.
This easy chicken and rice soup is healthy and filling. Make sure to save some leftovers for an easy lunch tomorrow!