Cream of Mushroom Chicken Bake with Noodles and Green Peas
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Chicken Bake with Noodles
- Cook noodles, drain and set aside.
- Sauté onions and mushrooms in a large skillet. Stir in cream cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the soup, broth, sour cream and spices. Pour mixture into the skillet with mushrooms.
- Add to the skillet the chicken, noodles and peas, stir to combine.
- Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes and uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy a Delicious Dinner!
Yum, stir the cooked noodles, peas and chicken into the skillet.
Family Meal that Everyone Will Love - chicken, noodles and peas in cream of mushroom soup
- 12 oz. shredded cooked chicken
- 1 12 oz. package extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 4 oz. Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 10. 5 oz. can cream of mushroom condensed soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley for garnish
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss cooked noodles with two tablespoons of butter to prevent sticking. Set aside.
Heat one tablespoon each olive oil and unsalted butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and one teaspoon garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, or just until onion begins to soften.
Add mushrooms and remaining butter to the skillet and season lightly with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the mushrooms are nicely browned.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, sour cream, remaining garlic powder, and thyme. Pour the mixture into the skillet with the cooked mushrooms and stir to combine.
Add the shredded chicken, frozen peas, and cooked noodles to the skillet. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and gently toss to combine.
Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and top with the freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Cover with a lid or sheet of aluminum foil and place in the pre-heated oven.
Bake the casserole for 20 minutes, then carefully remove the lid or foil. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or just until the top is nicely browned. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chopped parsley right before serving. Enjoy
What to do with any leftovers?
Just store them in an airtight container and leave in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave for an easy lunch or dinner later in the week.
What to Serve with This Pasta Recipe?
We love fresh tossed salad or a bowl of fresh mixed fruit
Dinner rolls or Garlic Bread
Cooking Notes and Tips:
This recipe calls for shredded, cooked chicken. Breast or thigh meat can be used, but thighs provide better flavor. Either rotisserie chicken or leftover meat is ideal, or you can prepare the chicken in an Instant Pot or cook the chicken yourself to shred. Once cooked, shred the chicken using two forks. How to Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken or How to Cook Chicken to use in Recipes. The nice thing about cooking your own chicken is you can save money and freeze extra to use later in the month.
To prevent sticking, toss the cooked noodles with a little bit of butter.
This recipe can be prepared with either canned or homemade cream of mushroom soup. For best results, prepare (and enjoy!) the homemade version in advance and
reserve one and three-quarter cups to later use in this recipe.