Reasons to eat more watermelon!
5 Reasons You Should Be Eating More Watermelon This Summer!
- It’s refreshing – Watermelon is made up of 92% water, so it’s an excellent way to stay hydrated and cool down on a hot day.
- It’s nutritious – Watermelon is low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium. It also contains antioxidants like lycopene, which can help protect against certain types of cancer and promote heart health.
- It’s versatile – Watermelon can be eaten on its own, sliced into salads, blended into smoothies, or used to make refreshing drinks like agua fresca.
- It’s delicious – Watermelon is naturally sweet and juicy, which makes it a popular choice for summertime snacking.
- It’s fun – Watermelon is a classic summertime treat that is often associated with picnics, pool parties, and other outdoor activities. Its bright colors and unique shape make it a fun addition to any summer gathering.
Overall, people love watermelon for its refreshing taste, nutritional benefits, versatility, and fun summer vibe.
Watermelon and summer go hand in hand with July 4th events, picnics in the park, family reunions and church dinners. The sweet, refreshing taste of this juicy fruit alone is reason enough to eat it, but watermelon offers much more than a party for your taste buds.
Keeps you Hydrated
Being outdoors in the hot summer sun can dehydrate you quickly if you don’t replenish your body with hydrating liquids. Thankfully, watermelon is 90% water and contains electrolytes that prevent muscle cramps and fatigue. Snacking on a delicious slice of watermelon while outside in the summer heat can provide you with the energy you need to keep having fun with sports or working in the garden and yard.
Pumps You with Nutrition
So, if a watermelon is 90% water, you may wonder what the remaining 10% contains. The answer is a packed load of nutrients like vitamins A, B, and C as well as fiber, copper, and magnesium. Don’t worry if you accidentally swallow some seeds because they are rich in zinc and iron. To sweeten the benefits even better, watermelon is low in calories, making it a great food to eat even if you are dieting.
Fights for Your Health
Like most fruits and vegetables, watermelon is high in antioxidants. This means when you consume a slice or two of this juicy plant flesh, an army of compounds explode through your bloodstream, searching for and destroying all those enemy free radicals that are causing inflammation and trying to break your body down. Loving watermelon means loving your health.
Protects Your Heart
You may have heard about how tomatoes are good for your heart because they contain the special antioxidant, lycopene. Well, watermelon is also rich in lycopene, which is found in many red and pink-hued vegetables and fruits. Therefore, a scarlet-red, ripe watermelon offers you a good shot of lycopene.
High levels of lycopene in the blood have been known to reduce blood pressure and LDL cholesterol, which can prevent strokes and cardiovascular disease. Additionally, watermelon contains potassium, which is also needed for heart health.
Keeps You Looking Young and Beautiful
Everyone should love this one! Too much fun in the sun can damage your skin and hair, but eating plenty of fruits and vegetables high in vitamins A and C, such as watermelon, can help protect you. Vitamin A works to protect the skin from ultraviolet rays, while vitamin C promotes collagen growth, preventing wrinkles and the appearance of premature aging.
So, there you have five more reasons to eat more watermelon this summer besides its luscious taste.
Want some “cool” ideas for enjoying more watermelon?
- Freeze watermelon juice into ice cubes and add them to your drinks.
- Puree watermelon and then pour it into a popsicle mold for a nice, cold treat.
- Toss watermelon chunks into a salad with cucumbers and feta cheese.
- Cut watermelon into triangle slices and make a fruit pizza, topped with whipped cream (or yogurt) and other pieces of fruit.
- Cut your watermelon into bite-sized pieces or wedges for easy snacking. You can eat it on its own or add it to fruit salads.
- Use a blender to make watermelon smoothies or juices. You can even freeze watermelon chunks and blend them into a refreshing slushie.
- Grill it – Slice your watermelon into thick rounds and grill them for a delicious and unexpected twist on this summertime favorite.
- Top with feta cheese or a sprinkle of salt for extra flavor.
- Freeze it – Cut your watermelon into cubes and freeze them for a refreshing and healthy summer snack. You can also blend frozen watermelon cubes with other fruits for a homemade sorbet.
- Use watermelon as a base for summer drinks like margaritas, mojitos, and lemonade. Blend watermelon with ice and your favorite alcohol for a refreshing cocktail.By incorporating watermelon into your daily diet, you can enjoy its refreshing taste and nutritional benefits all summer long.
Now, what are you waiting for? Go eat some watermelon!
You will Also Love Some of Our Healthy Articles:
How to Make Watermelon Ice Cubes