Learn how to make a healthy and delicious Yellow Basmati Rice Recipe for an awesome dinner side dish. Spices are healthy and not just for flavor. By adding more spices to your diet, you are also adding more nutrients.
Yellow Rice – How to Cook Perfect Basmati Rice with Turmeric and Curry – A Delicious and Healthy Rice Recipe!
We love this yellow rice recipe – and we must say, we make it often! Why you ask? Because rice is so easy to sneak in all kinds of good things. You will enjoy the healthy addition of turmeric and its amazing healthy benefits.
Why make plain rice when you can add so many nutrients to this very versatile grain. We have learned a lot in the last decade about how nutritious certain spices really are. Spices are not just a great way to flavor our foods, but they are super-nutritious additions!
Try this simple yellow rice recipe using Basmat rice for your family tonight! Let us know what you think!
We love cooking and serving this easy and healthy yellow rice dish with turmeric.
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1-3/4 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 2-3 cloves garlic, diced fine
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken base
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
Using a medium pan, gently saute onions and garlic in coconut oil for about 2 minutes.
Add the rice to the pan and continue stirring and cooking until the rice is well coated with the onion mixture.
Add the spices, chicken base, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir through the rice mixture.
Stir in the water and bring to a light boil.
Cover; reduce heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in milk and butter.
Cover and let sit and steam for about 5 additional minutes.
Cooking Basmati Rice Tips –
- Always let brown rice sit and steam a little (off of the burner) after it’s finished cooking. This softens the rice even more and will help kids or picky eaters like it.
- You can use white rice for this recipe instead of the Basmati. If you use brown rice, use 2-1/4 cups of water and cook for about 30-40 minutes.
- Always have a jar of soup base handy, you will use it in so many different recipes. You can add a little bit of soup base to the water for flavor.
- This is a great recipe for healthy yellow rice. Adjust the spices to fit your taste and the taste of your family.
Gently sauté the rice in with the onions and garlic. Use a lower heat to sauté the rice.
The deep yellow color is what makes this rice dish so healthy. Taste the broth before bringing to a light boil to make sure everything is correct. This is when you want to add additional salt, pepper, spices or a little extra chicken base.
You can also add a little red pepper to the rice for added taste and health benefits. Red pepper is filled with vitamin C.
Just chop up red pepper into small pieces and sauté with the onion
Rice is a part of a healthy diet.
What to Serve with Your Yellow Basmati Rice
Chicken, Beef or Pork Dishes go Well with Yellow Basmati Rice
Cast Iron Chicken Thighs
Eat rice with some sautéed whole green beans and a side salad