We love twice baked potatoes for a holiday dinner or special side dish treat. You can even eat twice baked potatoes for your main course for dinner and just serve these yummy potatoes with a nice and healthy salad. Below we will take you through some of our top choices on What to Serve with Twice Baked Potatoes.
We all love to eat twice baked potatoes, but what entrée to have when you’re not sure what goes well with these yummy potatoes? First though, what exactly is a twice baked potato and why do we love them so much? A twice baked potato is just how the name sounds, potatoes that have been cooked twice. First the potatoes are baked until nice and soft and then the potato is cut in half and the soft yummy potato is scooped out.
The cooked potato is scoped out leaving the baked potato skin intact. From there, you can add cheese, bacon and a little sour cream to the potato and mix until warm and creamy. Pop the filling back into the potato and bake again for about 10 minutes.
- Read on to see what to serve with twice baked potatoes and also see our delicious recipe for Caprese Twice-Baked Potatoes below.
What Meat to Serve with Twice Baked Potatoes
- Beef Pot Roast
- Yummy Club Steak
Beef Roast – A great choice for side dish is a beef pot roast. We love the Lipton Onion Soup Pot Roast Recipe for a great beef dish to serve along side the warm and delicious twice baked potatoes.
Steak – A perfect duo with the Club Steak and twice baked potatoes. A perfect pair.
Meatloaf – We LOVE homemade meatloaf and would be one of our top BEEF choices to serve with twice baked potatoes. Try our awesome Basic Homemade Meatloaf Recipe for a perfect meatloaf dinner.
- Chicken Legs
- Chicken Thighs
Chicken Legs – We love these tender and juicy Oven Fried Chicken Legs for a great main dish to serve with twice baked potatoes.
Chicken Thighs – Cook up some yummy Cast Iron Skillet Fried Chicken thighs using your cast iron skillet to serve along side those twice baked potatoes.
Did you know that ham and twice baked potatoes goes very well together? Buy a precooked ham and half of the work is done for an easy and delicious dinner! Learn more about how to How to Cook a Precooked Ham
With that ham and twice baked potato dinner, serve up some delicious Crack Green Beans
Salmon – We love fish and potatoes. What a better way to enhance your favorite fish dinner by adding a side of twice baked potatoes. Try a few of our favorite salmon recipes:
Salmon with Hollandaise Sauce and the always easy Easy Salmon Patties Using Canned Salmon
Cod – Cod is a light and tasty fish that goes well with all potatoes. Try one of our favorite cod recipes – Parmesan Crusted Cod
Pork Chop – Try our savory Lemon Thyme Pork Chops
Pork Roast – Applesauce PorkLoin Roast
Nothing beat a good pork roast or pork chop to serve as a main entrée to twice baked potatoes. Pork and potatoes gets a big yum from us!
What To Serve with Twice Baked Potatoes Vegetarian
- A protein-rich salad with chickpeas, lentils, or beans. Try our delicious Simple Tuscan Bean Salad with Goat Cheese
- A simple green salad with a variety of fresh vegetables. – learn more about what to put in a healthy salad
- Caesar salad with a vegetarian dressing.
- Caprese salad with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil.
- Wild rice pilaf.
- Guacamole or avocado salsa.
- Garlic bread or breadsticks.
- Warm naan or pita bread.
- Dinner rolls with herbed butter.
- A hearty vegetable soup
- Stuffed mushrooms with breadcrumbs, cheese, and herbs.
- Asparagus or Green Beans Lightly steamed or roasted with a drizzle of olive oil.
Learn How to Make These Delicious Caprese Twice-Baked Potatoes
The traditional flavors in Caprese salad of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, sweet basil and olive oil are perfect in these delicious and hearty Caprese twice-baked potatoes. They pop with color and the flavor is unbelievable.
Caprese Twice-Baked Potatoes
4 large baking potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup marinara sauce
1 8 oz. ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a large baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times and brush them with olive oil.
3. Generously season to taste with salt and pepper and place in oven to roast until fork-tender, 45-60 minutes.
4. Remove potatoes from oven and carefully slice them in half.
5. Mash the inside of the potatoes with a fork and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Spoon the marinara sauce on top of the potatoes.
7. Top with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes.
8. Return baking dish to the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
9. Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!
Differently Delicious Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 8 oz. ball fresh mozzarella sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup basil leaves thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a large baking dish with parchment paper. Pierce the potatoes with a fork a few times and brush them with olive oil.
Generously season to taste with salt and pepper and place in oven to roast until fork-tender, 45-60 minutes.
Remove potatoes from oven and carefully slice them in half.
Mash the inside of the potatoes with a fork and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon the marinara sauce on top of the potatoes.
Top with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes.
Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil.
How to Reheat Twice Baked Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Make sure your oven is fully heated before placing the potatoes inside.
- If your twice-baked potatoes are stored in the refrigerator, take them out and let them come to room temperature for about 15-20 minutes.
- If you want to retain moisture, you can wrap each potato in aluminum foil. This is optional and depends on personal preference; some people prefer a crispy skin.
- Put the potatoes on a baking sheet. If you’ve wrapped them in foil, place them directly on the baking sheet; if not, you can place them on the sheet as is.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes or until they are heated through. The exact time may vary depending on the size of the potatoes and your oven.
- To check if the twice-baked potatoes are fully reheated, insert a knife or fork into the center. If it comes out warm, they are ready.
- If you like a crispy top, you can unwrap the foil (if used) and broil the potatoes for an additional 2-3 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
We sure hope you have some great ideas on what to serve with twice baked potatoes!