This is the BEST Velveeta Mac and Cheese Recipe that the whole family will love. Velveeta Cheese Macaroni is one of our favorite “go to” recipes when we don’t feel like cooking but do feel like eating something super yummy! The Velveeta cheese added makes mac and cheese super creamy and smooth and is one of the best ever cheeses to use for Velveeta Cheese mac n cheese! You just can’t get enough Velveeta!
Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese
One of the first macaroni and cheese recipes that many of us start out with is this easy old-fashioned Velveeta Mac and Cheese with just a few simple ingredients and a few simple steps.
This is one of our favorite mac and cheese recipes because it’s simple to prepare and so creamy and so delicious. And, it’s also easy enough for the beginner cook to tackle. If you are a beginner cook, all you need is a medium size pot, a colander to drain the noodles, a sauce pan for the sauce, and a wire whisk or fork to stir the Velveeta cheeese sauce.
Gather Your Ingredients for the Best Macaroni and Cheese:
- Elbow Macaroni
- Velveeta Cheese
- Half and Half
- Dry Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese Directions
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions and drain. Leave macaroni in the colander.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in flour. Lightly salt the butter and flour mixture.
- Stir in milk, continuing to whisk.
- Stir in the cream and dry mustard and bring to a light simmer. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the Velveeta cheese cubes. Stir again until melted and creamy. Taste and add more salt & pepper if necessary.
- Add the cooked macaroni back to the pan with the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Yum! Enjoy!
A Simple and Delicious Velveeta Mac and Cheese Recipe the Whole Family will Love
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- (4 oz.) Velveeta Cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper, to taste
Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and keep warm in the pan.
While the macaroni is cooking, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan. Lightly salt the butter after it has melted.
With the heat on medium-high, slowly stir in the flour a little at a time.
After a paste has formed, slowly add the milk, stirring constantly.
Add the half-and-half, mustard and the salt to the pan. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
Add the cheese cubes and stir until the cheese has melted.
Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked noodles and stir gently until well combined.
Stir in additional chunks of Velveeta cheese if desired. Sprinkle mac and cheese with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cheese sauce in with the cooked macaroni and stir gently to combine. You can also add additional butter and chunks of Velveeta cheese.
- You can add anything you like to this macaroni and cheese recipe, but this is the basic recipe with a basic cheese sauce. Toss in some cheddar cheese or top with bread crumbs and butter and bake for about 15 minutes until the top is crispy and delicious.
- You can even add chopped fresh broccoli to the macaroni as it cooks. Just add the broccoli about 5 minutes before the macaroni is done cooking.
Velveeta cheese makes a sauce that is creamy and delicious. It’s perfect for anyone, even picky eaters, because it has a mild flavor that is not overwhelming. Velveeta cheese goes well with elbow macaroni and makes great leftovers so make enough to save some for later in the week for lunches or side dish for dinner.
How to Make Good Velveeta Mac and Cheese
The secret to making good Velveeta Mac and Cheese is using whole milk and half and half. Also, use salted butter which adds more flavor. When the mac and cheese is finished cooking and still in the pan, toss in some extra bits of cheese! Double Yum.
How to Make A Basic White Sauce for Macaroni and Cheese
Great Beginner Recipe: This is a great recipe for any beginner cook because it’s simple and it teaches you how to make a basic white sauce. You can learn more about how to make a basic white sauce that you can use to make so many delicious dishes.
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese is a very simple dish to cook and get on the table. If you are stuck for an easy dinner idea, mac and cheese is a perfect go-to meal.
How to Boil Elbow Macaroni?
Fill a medium pot half way with water (about 5 quarts of water or 20 cups) and add about 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a rolling boil and stir in pasta. Lower heat just a little so boiling water does not boil over the pot. Continue to stir pasta for about 1-2 minutes so it doesn’t stick together. Cook for about 7 minutes before checking for doneness.
How Much Macaroni to Cook Per Person
A good rule to follow is about 2 oz. of uncooked macaroni per person.
Velveeta Mac and Cheese Calories?
Calories vary depending on the serving sizes and any additional butter or cream. The average serving of Macaroni and Cheese contains about 350 – 370 calories per cup.
How Long Does Macaroni and Cheese Take to Cook?
You typical macaroni and cheese recipe will take about 20 minutes on average to cook depending on the cheese sauce you use. Elbow macaroni takes about 8-10 minutes depending on how soft you like your noodles. How to tell if your noodles are cooked properly? You be the judge! Start tasting a noodle after it’s been cooking for about 7-8 minutes. You should be able to tell with practice how much longer might be needed to cook the noodles to your preference.
What to Serve with Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese
Yummy Family Friendly Bisquick Fried Chicken
How to Store Leftover Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese
Leftover macaroni and cheese is just about as good as it is when first cooked. It stores beautifully and is easily heated up in the microwave. Just store in an airtight container for up to a week.
What Other Noodles Can Be Used for Macaroni and Cheese?
Any smaller noodle is good to make a delicious macaroni and cheese recipe.
- Small Shells
- Penne Pasta
Love macaroni and cheese as much as we do? Try our delicious white cheddar macaroni and cheese and our Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese.
Also try our Velveeta Cheese Scalloped Potatoes