Spicy Crockpot Chili with Sausage
Change up the pace of beef chili and try this crockpot chili with sausage. A delicious crockpot chili that sure to please and makes enough extra to freeze!
This crockpot chili gets a nice boost of flavor by using a combination of spicy and sweet pork sausage, rather than just plain ground beef. To turn up the heat even more, use all spicy sausage instead.
Tip: Crumble the bulk sausage with your fingers prior to browning. This gives you better control over the size of each piece and is easier than breaking up the chunks of sausage with a wooden spoon while cooking. Another alternative is to use a potato masher, if you have one.
A delicious spicy crockpot chili full of flavor for a chilly night.
- 1 lb. spicy bulk pork sausage crumbled
- 1 lb. sweet bulk pork sausage crumbled
- 1 cup chicken broth plus additional, if needed
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 15 oz. cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15.5 oc. cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 28 oz. cans tomato puree
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can petite-cut tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1//2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup black coffee or water, if needed
In a large skillet, brown pork sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from heat and drain excess fat from pan. Transfer browned sausage to slow cooker crock.
Return skillet to burner over medium-high heat. Deglaze pan with chicken or vegetable stock, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a spatula.
Add olive oil, garlic, and onion to pan and cook, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add celery and carrot and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour skillet contents into slow cooker.
Add white beans, red beans, tomato puree, tomato paste, petite-cut tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper to slow cooker. Stir to combine all ingredients thoroughly. If desired, add water or black coffee to thin mixture before cooking.
Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. When finished, stir and add salt to taste. Adjust other seasonings, as desired.
Spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese, chopped onions and/or sliced jalapeno peppers. Serve immediately. Freeze or refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
¾ cup chopped red onion
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced
Love chili as much as we do? Try our delicious One Pot Chili Mac!