Simple Sloppy Joes with Beans
We must confess … we love sloppy joes. Lot’s of beef with very little bun and served with a big side of pickles.
Just about everyone loves a good sloppy joe, and this recipe makes old joe a little healthier with the addition of kidney beans.
Beans add extra nutrition and fiber to this sloppy joe recipe and gives a taste similar to a warm bowl of chili. So heap some sloppy joe meat on your bun and grab a handful of napkins. Enjoy!
We love this recipe for sloppy joes with the addition of healthy kidney beans.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- Using a large skillet, cook onions in oil until they start to soften. Add the beans to the pan with the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Break up beans with a spatula as they cook. Season the beans with salt, pepper and all the seasonings.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and continue cooking until the beef is browned. Drain off any grease. Stir in the tomato sauce and vinegar, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve on top of hamburger buns and sprinkled with cheese.
It’s a good idea to include more beans in your healthy diet! This is a low-cost dinner to put on the table. When we added a side of freshly sliced strawberries and cantaloupe, dinner cost was about $12.00.
DinnerPlanner Fruit Salad