Whether you’re preparing a family dinner, hosting a gathering, or simply looking for a weeknight meal that’s easy to make but full of flavor, this delicious recipe of roasted sheet pan potatoes and green beans has got you covered. With just a handful of ingredients and minimal preparation, you’ll have a wholesome and nutritious dish ready in no time.
Sheet pan cooking not only offers quick convenience for dinner, but also allows for easy clean-up, making it a win-win situation for those that feel like they may be too busy to cook.
Sheet Pan Potatoes and Green Beans
Roasted potatoes and greens make for perfect sides! Complex carbs plus a starch and just add your favorite protein. These roasted vegetables are vegan and gluten free!
Ingredients Needed for Sheet Pan Potatoes and Green Beans
- 8 small russet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic seasoning, divided
- 2 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
How to Make Sheet Pan Potatoes with Green Beans
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into cubes (cut potatoes in half then into fourths, about 1 inch thick)
- Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add in 2 tablespoons avocado oil, and half the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. With your hands mix until the potatoes are thoroughly coated.
- Place the potatoes on the cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes
- In the same mixing bowl add in the the green beans, remaining oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- After 20 minutes remove the potatoes from the oven. Flip the potatoes and add the green beans to the cookie sheet.
- Roast for another 30 minutes
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Why Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans Make a Perfect Combination
- Roasted potatoes and green beans are a match made in culinary heaven. The textures and flavors of these two vegetables complement each other perfectly, creating a harmonious dish that is both satisfying and delicious.
- When roasted, potatoes develop a crispy exterior that contrasts beautifully with their soft and fluffy interior. This textural element adds depth and interest to the dish, making it a delight to bite into. The natural sweetness of the potatoes also intensifies during the roasting process, resulting in a rich and flavorful taste.
- Green beans, on the other hand, provide a refreshing and vibrant element to the dish. Their tender yet slightly crunchy texture adds a pleasant bite, while their bright green color adds visual appeal. Green beans also have a subtle earthy flavor that pairs wonderfully with the savory notes of roasted potatoes.
- Combining these two vegetables on a sheet pan allows them to cook together, infusing their flavors and textures into one another. As the potatoes roast, their juices mingle with the green beans, creating a delicious medley of flavors. The result is a dish that is both comforting and refreshing, making it a crowd-pleaser for any occasion.
Pull out the Sheet Pan for Tasty Potatoes and Green Beans!
- 8 small russet potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 lb. fresh green beans ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic seasoning divided
- 2 teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper divided
Preheat the oven to 375. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into cubes (cut potatoes in half then into fourths, about 1 inch thick)
Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add in 2 tablespoons avocado oil, and half the salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. With your hands mix until the potatoes are thoroughly coated.
Place the potatoes on the cookie sheet in a single layer.
Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes
In the same mixing bowl add in the the green beans, remaining oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
After 20 minutes remove the potatoes from the oven. Flip the potatoes and add the green beans to the cookie sheet.
Roast for another 30 minutes
Remove the cookie sheet from the oven. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Choosing the Right Potatoes for Roasting
When it comes to roasting potatoes, choosing the right variety is crucial. Not all potatoes are created equal, and some are better suited for roasting than others. The key is to select potatoes that have a high starch content and a low moisture content.
- Russet potatoes are a popular choice for roasting due to their high starch content. They have a fluffy texture when cooked and develop a golden brown crust when roasted. Yukon Gold potatoes are another excellent option, offering a creamy texture and a buttery flavor. These potatoes hold their shape well when roasted, making them ideal for sheet pan cooking.
- It’s important to avoid using waxy potatoes, such as red or new potatoes, for roasting. These varieties have a low starch content and a high moisture content, which can result in a soft and mushy texture when roasted. While they may work well in other cooking methods, they are not the best choice for achieving crispy roasted potatoes.
Preparing the Potatoes and Green Beans for Roasting
- Before you can roast your potatoes and green beans, they need to be properly prepared. Start by washing the potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. If desired, you can peel the potatoes, although leaving the skin on adds flavor and texture to the dish.
- Next, cut the potatoes into uniform pieces to ensure even cooking. Aim for bite-sized chunks, roughly 1 inch in size. This will allow the potatoes to cook through while developing a crispy exterior.
- As for the green beans, trim off the ends and rinse them under cold water. Pat them dry with a kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture. It’s important to use fresh green beans for the best results. They should be bright green, firm, and free from any blemishes or signs of wilting.
Seasoning Options for Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
Once your potatoes and green beans are prepped and ready to go, it’s time to add some flavor. Seasoning is key to elevating the taste of your roasted vegetables and making them truly irresistible.
- A classic combination for roasted potatoes is olive oil, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil, then sprinkle them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss them gently to ensure that every piece is coated with the seasoning.
- For an extra kick of flavor, you can add minced garlic, dried herbs, or spices to the mix. Garlic adds a wonderful aroma and a savory taste, while herbs like rosemary, thyme, or oregano bring a fresh and fragrant element to the dish. Spices such as paprika, cayenne pepper, or chili powder can add a hint of heat and complexity.
- When it comes to seasoning green beans, simplicity is key. A light drizzle of olive oil, along with some salt and pepper, is all you need to enhance their natural flavors. However, feel free to experiment with additional seasonings and spices to suit your taste preferences.
Cooking Time and Temperature for Perfect Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
- To achieve perfectly roasted potatoes and green beans, it’s important to cook them at the right temperature for the right amount of time. This will ensure that they are cooked through and develop a desirable texture and flavor.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F to create the ideal roasting environment for both the potatoes and the beans.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your potato and green bean pieces. Generally, it takes about 25-30 minutes for the potatoes to become golden and crispy, while the green beans will be tender yet slightly crisp after 15-20 minutes of roasting. Keep a close eye on the vegetables as they cook, as oven temperatures may vary.
- It’s important to give the vegetables enough space on the sheet pan to ensure proper air circulation. Overcrowding the pan can result in steaming rather than roasting, leading to soft and soggy vegetables. If necessary, use two sheet pans to accommodate all the vegetables, making sure to rotate the pans halfway through the cooking time for even browning.
Tips for Achieving Crispy Potatoes and Tender Green Beans
To achieve the ultimate sheet pan sensation of roasted crispy potatoes and tender green beans, here are a few additional tips to keep in mind:
1. Use a rimmed sheet pan – A rimmed sheet pan helps to contain any juices that may be released during roasting, preventing a mess in your oven.
2. Spread the vegetables out evenly – Make sure to arrange the potatoes and green beans in a single layer on the sheet pan. This allows for even cooking and promotes browning.
3. Don’t overcrowd the pan – As we mentioned before, overcrowding the pan can result in steaming rather than roasting. Give the vegetables enough space to breathe and roast properly.
4. Flip and toss halfway through – About halfway through the cooking time, use a spatula or tongs to flip the potatoes and toss the green beans. This ensures that all sides of the vegetables are exposed to the heat, resulting in even browning.
Serving Suggestions and Flavor Variations
- For a complete vegetarian meal, consider adding some protein-rich ingredients to the mix. Crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts, or roasted chickpeas make excellent additions that add both texture and flavor. You can also serve the roasted vegetables alongside a dollop of creamy Greek yogurt or a sprinkle of freshly chopped herbs for a refreshing touch.
- If you’re looking to incorporate meat into the dish, roasted chicken thighs or salmon fillets make excellent choices. Simply place the protein on the same sheet pan as the potatoes and green beans, and let them cook together. The flavors of the meat will mingle with the roasted vegetables, creating a mouthwatering combination.
As for flavor variations, the possibilities are endless. You can experiment with different seasonings, spices, and herbs to create unique flavor profiles.
- For a Mediterranean twist, try adding sun-dried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and crumbled feta cheese. If you’re a fan of spicy food, sprinkle the vegetables with some cayenne pepper or chili flakes for a fiery kick. Don’t be afraid to get creative and tailor the dish to your personal taste preferences.
Enjoy the Simplicity and Flavor of Roasted Sheet Pan Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
The sheet pan roasting method ensures even cooking and easy clean-up, making it a perfect option for busy individuals or families who want to enjoy a wholesome and delicious meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
By selecting the right potatoes, properly preparing the green beans, and seasoning them to perfection, you can achieve crispy potatoes and tender green beans that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Whether you’re cooking for your family, hosting a gathering, or simply looking for an easy weeknight meal, this easy sheet pan roasting recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
You will Love Some of Our Delicious Potato Recipes: