One Pot Pork and Sweet Potato Stew – Healthy and Delicious
What’s for dinner this week? How about a healthy and delicious pork and sweet potato stew!
You will love this delicious stew with its unique blend of pork, sweet potatoes, and a medley of spices. Unlike tougher cuts of pork, tenderloin can be cooked relatively quickly. That means you don’t have to let it simmer for hours to get melt-in-your-mouth results.
Healthy and delicious Pork and Sweet Potato Stew Your Whole Family will Love.
- 1 1/4 lb. pork tenderloin, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 3 cloves garlic, ,minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies soften and develop a bit of color, approximately 3-4 minutes.
Add pork tenderloin and sweet potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat begins to brown, around 2-3 minutes. Again, lightly salt & pepper.
- Add black beans and spices and stir to combine. Cook for another 30 seconds, or just until the spices become fragrant. Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock; increase heat to high. Bring to a light boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until pork is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaves. Stir in 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Top with remaining fresh parsley for garnish and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tip: Like most tomato-based dishes, this flavorful stew tastes even better the next day – so consider making a double batch to enjoy later!
Pork and Sweet Potato Stew is not only delicious, but makes a very nutritious meal.
We love cooking with sweet potatoes in soups and stews. With only about 110 calories per cup and 0.1 g of total fat, and 377% of Vitamin A, these little powerhouse potatoes pack a big nutritional punch without the fat or calories.
Love soups and stews as much as we do? You will love this Turkey and Black Bean Chili!