Healthy Tuna Pasta Recipe for Kids, Toddlers and Baby
What kid doesn’t love noodles? We often get asked what is one of our favorite recipes that you could feed to a kid, toddler or even an older baby?
This pasta noodle recipe is simple to prepare and has basic ingredients that all kids will love. Pasta, cheese and green peas. Sometimes we add corn to the mix and always a bit of tuna fish.
When you have a toddler you know days are busy and you don’t always have time to prepare fresh food. Make this recipe and it will make enough to have leftovers for a few days, leaving you time for other important things.
Why We Love This Recipe:
- Most ingredients you should have on hand for a last minute lunch or dinner. You should have everything you need easily available for this recipe. Both cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and the half and half will last for at least 3 weeks in the refrigerator. The other items can easily be found in your pantry or freezer.
- This recipe is simple to prepare and easy enough for a beginner.
- Kids love the mild flavors in the dish and can easily be eaten with small fingers.
- We love cream sauces – try our yummy Pecorino Cream Sauce
What Ingredients you Need for This Recipe:
Half and Half
Grated Cheddar Cheese
Chicken Soup Base
Yummy Tuna Pasta Recipe the Kiddos will Love
- 2 cups rotini pasta, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons chicken base
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 can tuna fish, well drained
- 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cups corn (optional)
In a medium saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions. Add chicken soup base to the water before adding the noodles. Add the green peas (and corn if using) the last few minutes of cooking.
Drain the noodles and reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Leave pasta in colander.
Melt butter and then add half and half, reserved water and a pinch of salt to the same pan the pasta was cooked in; bring to a light simmer. Let cook for about 1 minute.
Stir in the grated cheddar cheese. When the cheddar cheese has melted, stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Add cooked and drained noodles and peas back to the pan and give a light stir to coat. Stir in the tuna fish. Serve with an additional sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
Sometimes we add corn to our kid friendly pasta. You could also easily add some shredded zucchini as well. Just shred about a 1/2 or 1 cup of zucchini and cook in a little butter before adding the half and half to the pan.
Can You Make This Recipe Ahead in the Week:
Yes! This is a great recipe to prepare in advance. Pasta always keeps well and will easily reheat in the microwave.
Freeze leftovers in an airtight containers for about 3 months. To reheat, let thaw and microwave for about 2 minutes.
Yummy Kid Friendly Recipes
Easy Ground Turkey Skillet Dinner Recipe
Chicken and Rice Soup – Kid Friendly!
Crockpot BBQ Chicken and Pineapple
Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef
The Best Skillet Egg Noodle Lasagna Recipe
Ground Beef Broccoli and Peanut Sauce
Easy One Skillet Enchilada Pasta
Pepperoni Pizza Pasta