There are two ways to make an easy eggs in a nest breakfast or Ox-Eye eggs as they were first called. You can fry the bread and eggs in your skillet with a little butter, or you can toast the bread and then bake the toasted bread together with the eggs in your oven. Both are delicious ways to make these famous eggs.
Learn How to Make This Delicious Egg Recipe for Breakfast that Everyone will Love.
Try something different for the family breakfast table and get your kids interested in yummy eggs!
Yum – (above) these are baked Eggs in a Nest or Ox-Eye Eggs with homemade blueberry jelly on the cut-out circles.
It’s nice to make something different for the family for breakfast that will please just about everyone. These eggs and toast are easy to prepare and fun to eat. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar on the bread for something extra delicious.
Learn how to make This Recipe Using a Skillet on your Stovetop or Baked in the Oven.
Ingredients Needed for Easy Eggs in a Nest in the Skillet
- 2 slices of bread – white bread works well, but always try your favorite bread
- 3 teaspoons of butter – salted butter
- 2 large eggs -always choose organic eggs if possible
- salt & pepper – don’t forget to season with salt & pepper
How To Make Eggs in a Nest (Using a Skillet)
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the circle in the center of the bread.
- Melt butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place the bread in the skillet and cook on both sides for about 30 seconds or until the bread is nicely browned.
- Cook the center circles this way as well and set aside.
- Gently break an egg into each hole and then lightly salt & pepper.
- Lower the heat a bit and cook for about 2 minutes then flip the bread and cook for another minute on the other side.
Yummy Eggs and Toast for Breakfast
- 2 slices of bread
- 3 teaspoons of butter
- 2 large eggs
- salt & pepper
Use a cookie cutter to cut out the circle in the center of the bread.
Melt butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Place the bread in the skillet and cook on both sides for about 30 seconds or until the bread is nicely browned.
Cook the center circles this way as well and set aside.
Gently break an egg into each hole and then lightly salt & pepper.
Lower the heat a bit and cook for about 2 minutes then flip the bread and cook for another minute on the other side.
Pictured above are baked eggs. Bake the eggs for about 10-15 minutes or until the whites are hard and the yolk is to your liking.
How To Make These Delicious Eggs (In the Oven)
- Preheat oven or Toaster Oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Toast your slices of bread and then lightly butter each slice.
- Cut out a circle out of each slice using a cookie cutter.
- Place the toasted bread in the baking dish and gently crack an egg into each circle. Lightly salt & pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
Eggs in the Nest for Breakfast being cooked in the skillet using a little butter. Keep the heat on medium low as the eggs cook.
Pictured above are eggs that were cooked in the skillet.
Flip the eggs in the skillet using a spatula and let the other side cook on low for about 1 minute. Cook a little longer if you want the egg yolks to be firmer.
What to Serve with Your Eggs in a Nest
We love to serve fresh fruit or berries. Strawberries mixed with blueberries is a great choice.
Make your own healthy ground turkey sausage patties.
Cooked ham slices.
Jam or Jelly
Don’t forget the fresh orange juice or orange sections.
What Type of Bread to Use for this Egg Breakfast Recipe?
We use plain white bread for this recipe but feel free to use your favorite bread. A thicker bread may need to cook a little longer to get nice and toasted.
Serve with your favorite jelly for the toasted circles. One of our favorite jams or jelly is blackberry jam that can be found at most Farmer’s Markets. Homemade jams are delicious and easily available during the summer months.
Why We LOVE Eggs
Read more about how to choose the best eggs and why we LOVE eating eggs. Eggs are a healthy breakfast choice because they are filled with protein and are low in calories. Eggs are also high in nutrients which makes them a healthy part of a well-rounded diet.
Eggs are also super-delicious and can be cooked in so many tempting ways. If you dislike runny eggs, just make scrambled cheesy eggs! If you dislike scrambled eggs – make sunny side up dippy eggs. We do love Dippy Eggs! There are so many ways to cook an egg – and don’t forget egg salad and deviled eggs.
What is the Best Skillet to Use for this Yummy Egg Recipe?
A quality skillet is a great choice if you like making fried or scrambled eggs for breakfast. Here is one of our favorite skillets that is not only a quality skillet, it contains NO harmful chemicals. https://amzn.to/3J8ijgI
More Great Egg Recipes: