An Italian Hoagie or Grinder sandwich consists of Italian bread or Italian roll, various delicious meats, provolone cheese and a delicious zesty Italian dressing. Add to that your lettuce, tomato and Italian mayonnaise and you have one of the best sandwiches ever made! Learn how to make a hoagie that the whole family will love.
NO matter if you call this mouthwatering sandwich a Hoagie, Grinder, Sub, Hero, or Spuckie, this delicious sandwich is bursting with flavor and is sure to satisfy even the biggest of appetites.
We love how easy it is to make a sandwich that is super delicious with tasty meats and cheeses and slathered with a tasty dressing.
Follow along as we show you how to make a Hoagie!
Why We Love Italian Hoagies
We love the Italian Hoagies because the bread is toasted and the meats and cheeses are warm and tasty. Something about heating up the meats and toasting the bread take this sandwich over the top. Give yourself a treat and make some Italian Hoagies tonight for dinner!
What Ingredients You Will Need for This Hoagie Recipe
- Italian bread or Italian Hoagie Roll – Find your favorite baked Italian bread or Italian sandwich rolls.
- Italian Deli meats – We use a delicious combination of mortadella, soppressata, prosciutto and salami.
- Delicious Cheese Slices – We use both Provolone cheese and Mozzarella Cheese for our Italian hoagie.
- Italian Mayonnaise Dressing –
- Lettuce and Tomato – Get fancy and shred the lettuce. Use ripe fresh tomatoes.
Step by Step on How to Make a Hoagie:
Step 1. Preheat the broiler to 400° F. For easy cleanup, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2. Slice the Italian loaf in half lengthwise and place on the baking sheet.
Step 3. On the bottom half of the bread, evenly layer and distribute all the deli meats.
Step 4. On the top half of the bread, evenly layer and distribute the cheese slices.
Step 5. Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread has become nice and crispy.
Step 6. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, make the salad mixture by whisking the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, pickle relish, and Italian seasoning together. Season to taste with a small pinch of salt and black pepper. Add in the red onion, and iceberg lettuce. Toss to combine.
Step 7. Pile on the salad mixture on top of the meat, then top with tomato slices and grated parmesan cheese.
Step 8. Slice into 4 hearty sandwiches and enjoy!
It’s pretty easy to make a hoagie with just a few simple steps. Choose your favorite bread or hoagie roll, shop around until you find what works for you. We feel the bread is one of the most important parts of a hoagie.
There is just something so delicious about an Italian hoagie that makes it our favorite sandwich. The toasty bread with warm meats and cheeses makes every bite enjoyable!
Learn How to Make a Delicious Italian Hoagie
- 1 loaf loaf of Italian bread
- 6-8 slices mortadella
- 6-8 slices soppressata
- 6-8 slices prosciutto
- 6-8 slices salami
- 6-8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 slices provolone cheese
- 5 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons sliced banana peppers
- 1/2 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 small small iceberg lettuce head thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 large large tomato thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese freshly grated
- salt and place pepper to taste
Preheat the broiler to 400° F. For easy cleanup, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the Italian loaf in half lengthwise and place on the baking sheet.
On the bottom half of the bread, evenly layer and distribute all the deli meats.
On the top half of the bread, evenly layer and distribute the cheese slices.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread has become nice and crispy.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, make the salad mixture by whisking the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, pickle relish, and Italian seasoning together. Season to taste with a small pinch of salt and black pepper.
Add red onion, and iceberg lettuce.
Toss to combine.
Remove the bread from the oven.
Pile on the salad mixture, then top with tomato slices and grated parmesan cheese.
Slice into 4 hearty sandwiches and enjoy!
As you embark on your culinary journey to create this iconic sandwich, remember to embrace the freshness of high-quality ingredients, layer them with care, and savor the authentic essence of Italian cuisine. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a kitchen novice, the joy of making an Italian hoagie lies not just in its delicious outcome but in the love and passion you infuse into each layer.
What Should You Serve with Italian Hoagies
Here are some delicious options to serve alongside Italian hoagies:
- Potato Chips or French Fries – Classic potato chips or crispy fries add a satisfying crunch and are a popular choice for a side with sandwiches. Don’t forget also about the ever popular crispy tater tots.
- Pasta Salad – A cold pasta salad with Italian flavors, such as a simple penne with olive oil, cherry tomatoes, olives, and fresh basil, can be a refreshing and complementary side dish.
- Antipasto Platter – Create an antipasto platter with an assortment of Italian cheeses, cured meats, marinated vegetables, olives, and crusty bread. This side dish complements the flavors of the hoagie while offering variety.
- Italian Wedding Soup – This classic Italian soup with meatballs, vegetables, and pasta or rice can be a hearty and comforting option to serve alongside hoagies. Italian Crockpot Wedding Soup Recipe
- Coleslaw – A crisp and tangy coleslaw can provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the hoagies.
What is a Hoagie Roll?
Key characteristics of a hoagie roll include:
Length and Shape – Hoagie rolls are longer than traditional sandwich rolls, often ranging from about 6 to 12 inches in length. The elongated shape makes them ideal for creating substantial and satisfying hoagies.
Texture – Typically, the inside of a hoagie roll is soft and slightly chewy, providing a good contrast to the crust. The exterior crust can be thin and crispy, enhancing the overall texture of the sandwich.
Ingredients – Hoagie rolls are typically made with ingredients similar to other bread, including flour, water, yeast, salt, and sometimes a touch of sugar. Some variations may include additional ingredients or be made with specific types of flour for added flavor and texture.
You will Love Some Of Our Favorite Recipes: