Boiling boneless chicken breast is a great way to get healthy and low calorie chicken to use in many recipes.
Learn How to Easily Boil Chicken Breasts
Boiled chicken breasts is a great method for any new cook to learn how to cook chicken to use in many recipes. It saves you time and money and gives you fresh and healthy chicken without a lot of fat, calories or sodium.
And it allows you to not only use the shredded chicken in your favorite recipes, but it also provides you with a nasty and nutritious broth to use in soups as well.
What Ingredients You Will Need
- Boneless Chicken Breasts – Organic
- Chicken Broth – Organic if possible
- Soup Base
- Fresh Rosemary or Thyme
How to Boil Fresh Chicken Breasts –
– Lightly Boil 1 lb. of boneless chicken breasts in chicken broth for about 8-12 minutes. Double that for 2 lbs. of chicken breast – 16 to 22 minutes. Always check the thickest part of the breast to see if see if it’s cooked through. Let chicken breasts cool before cubing or shredding.
Why Learn to Boil Chicken Breasts?
Boiling Chicken Breasts Gives You Endless Ways to Use Healthy Chicken in Recipes Very Quickly.
A great way to get a healthy and nutritious dinner (or lunch) on the table quickly is to lightly boil chicken breasts in broth. This makes tender and juicy shredded chicken to use in your recipes, top your salad, make a delicious chicken salad, stuff in a burrito… the choices are endless.
And it’s quick!
Every newbie cook needs to learn the different ways to cook chicken breasts, as this opens up the door to cooking new and healthy recipes.
We love this quick method of lightly boiling the chicken breasts in broth and fresh herbs. Add a little minced garlic and the pot smells divine!
Where to Start with Boiling Fresh Chicken?
- Fist you want to start off with the healthiest chicken breasts you can buy. By starting off with quality chicken breasts, you are assured you are only putting healthy ingredients in your body. Make sure to purchase skinless and boneless chicken breasts.
- We use both fresh herbs and dried, depending on what’s available. Use about 1 teaspoon if you are using dried.
- Salt – add a little salt & pepper to the broth – but not a lot. You can always add more, if necessary, but you can’t remove what you already have in the pot.
- Add everything to a medium pot and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10-15 minutes for 1 lb. or 25 minutes for 2 lbs. Make sure chicken is cooked through.
Learn how to quickly boil chicken breasts for a healthy lunch or dinner
- 1 lb. Organic chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 carrots peeled and cut into pieces Depends on the size
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 1 or 2 teaspoons organic soup base
- few sprigs rosemary and thyme
Just toss everything in a medium-sized pot and bring to a light boil.
Cover; reduce heat and simmer gently 8 -12 minutes.
Remove chicken from the pot and let cool before cubing or shredding.
A few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme. A sprig is just a small piece of the stem from the plant. Always keep in mind, these fresh herbs are very easy to grow in your small garden or right in your kitchen to use at any time.
How Long to Boil Chicken Breasts?
How long to boil chicken breasts all depends on the size and thickness of the breasts. 1 lb. Boneless, skinless chicken breast cut in half should about cook 8-12 minutes or 2 lbs. 16 – 22 minutes. Make sure to remove the chicken breast and let cool before cubing or shredding.
How Long to Boil Frozen Chicken Breasts?
Let frozen chicken thaw in the fridge before cooking. Frozen and thawed whole chicken breasts cut in half would take about 18 to 22 minutes.
How Long to Boil Boneless Chicken Thighs?
If you decide to substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts, keep in mind they tend to be a little thicker so will require a little longer cook time. Boneless and skinless chicken thighs are delicious as they are mostly dark meat. For larger pieces you may want to do a full 30 minutes of cook time, for smaller pieces of chicken thighs 25 minutes should be perfect. Lay the thighs in a pot and cover with water or chicken broth. Bring to a light boil; cover and reduce heat. Simmer until cooked through. Don’t forget to salt & pepper before cooking and to add in some onions and fresh herbs.
How Much Chicken Do You Need?
1-1/2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breast will equal about 3 cups of chopped, cubed or shredded chicken.
Lay the cooked chicken on a cutting board and shred or cut into pieces.
What Should I do with The Broth left in the Pan?
Never Throw out the Chicken Broth Left in the Pan!
There are many ways to use fresh chicken broth in your recipes. Homemade chicken broth also contains many vitamins and nutrients.
How Long Will Chicken Broth Keep?
Chicken broth will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to cool the chicken broth and keep in an airtight container. You can also place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
Can you Freeze Chicken Broth?
Yes, chicken broth is easily frozen and will last a couple of months in your freezer. For smaller amounts use an ice -cube tray. Remove frozen cubes and place in a zipper-lock freezer bag. You can also pour cooled broth into a zipper-lock bag and lay flat in the freezer. This is a very easy and convenient way to freeze fresh broth.
Make Fresh Homemade Delicious Chicken Noodle Soup!
Never toss the broth that is cooked with the chicken. This broth is so super-delicious and nutritious that it begs to be made into a quick chicken noodle soup.
How to Make a Quick Chicken Noodle Soup – Recipe for Easy Soup
Scoop out the onion pieces and as much of celery as you desire. Also take out the pieces of rosemary and thyme. Toss in about 1/2 cup of Fideo noodles, about 2 teaspoons dried parsley and bring to a light simmer. (Fideo noodles are simple cut spaghetti that has been cut into smaller pieces.) We LOVE Fideo Pasta Noodles!
Add additional broth or water if necessary if the soup becomes too thick. You can also make a delicious soup using your favorite brand of egg noodles.
What Else Can I make With Shredded Chicken?
- You can use Chicken on Salads
- Mix with BBQ Sauce to make Pulled Chicken
- Make delicious Chicken Salad with celery and mayonnaise
- Chicken Quesadillas (our favorite)
- Chicken Pizza
- Chicken Tortillas
- Chicken Casseroles
- Cooked Pasta tossed with Chicken and Cream of Chicken Soup
Creamy and Delicious Chicken Noodle Pot Pie
Use up that boiled chicken breast or chicken thighs making this delicious leftover chicken noodle pot pie.
- Cooked bowtie or rotini pasta
- about 1/2 cup of thawed frozen peas & carrot
- Left over chicken
- Yummy white sauce – learn how to make a delicious white sauce
- Grated or shredded Parmesan Cheese
Cook and drain noodles. Make a creamy white sauce. Stir everything together to make a delicious noodle pot pie. Sprinkle with some grated or shredded Parmesan cheese.
Remember: Chicken is always safe to eat when it has been cooked to internal temperature of 165 degrees.