Learn how to make a delicious and healthy old fashioned beef barley soup that is super filling and filled with tons of nutrients.
Delicious Healthy & Old Fashioned Beef Barley Soup – Classic Soup Recipe
Soup’s on and our kitchen is all warm and cozy. Pull up a chair and have a seat! Tell us about your day while we make this old fashioned beef barley soup just like Grandma used to make.
Soup is one of those perfect dishes you can make for dinner and most of the time it’s a meal that is easy on the food budget. Place a big pot on the stove and fill it with vegetables, beans, beef or chicken and lots of broth and onions. Simmer for an hour or two and a yummy and nutritious dinner is on the table that will leave you & your family feeling good for hours. Making homemade soup is easy and well worth the effort!
Your family is going to love this beef barley soup for dinner!
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lb. Beef stew meat
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5-6 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and melt the butter with the oil.
Add beef to the pan and cook until beef is well browned. Season beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Remove cooked beef from pan.
To the same pan, add the carrots, celery, onion, cook for about 4-5 minutes and then add and barley. Cook everything for about 2 more minutes.
Add the beef back to the pan and stir in the flour and tomato paste.
Stir in the beef broth and diced tomatoes; bring to a light simmer.
Cover; reduce heat, and simmer about 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
When soup has finished cooking, add the lemon and thyme.
Beef Stew Tips:
* When you buy a package of beef stew meat, you can cut up the meat using a sharp knife to suite your taste. If you like smaller pieces of meat, cut the larger chunks of beef into about 4 pieces. To save even more money, use less beef.
Taste and adjust the lemon and thyme to your liking.
Barely has always been a great economical food choice because of the low cost. Barley is also very nutritious and one of those grains that will keep you fuller for longer. This Old Fashioned Beef Barley Soup was a staple in many homes because the amount of beef could be reduced and still have a tasty soup. Many homes used beef bones and ham bones to cook soups without added meat to save even more money.
Barley Soup for Weight Loss
Foods that are filled with fiber can aid in weight loss because they not only fill you up, but they keep you fuller for longer keeping you from extra snacking all day.
Healthy Barley and Why We Should Add More To Our Diets
- Barely is a great grain for vegetarians to eat because it contains many of the much needed B vitamins (niacin) that are needed to fight off diseases.
- Barley contains more fiber and calcium that brown rice with fewer calories.
- The great amount of fiber can aid in weight loss or weight management.
- Barley is rich in calcium, phosphorus, and Vitamin C. These are great nutrients if you want healthy bones and teeth.
What to Serve with Beef Barley Soup?
We love this beef barley soup so much we eat bowl after bowl!
What we serve with our soup is crackers and warm rolls with plenty of fresh butter. Grandma always had a bowl of sweet strawberry jelly to go with our homemade bread.