Ham BBQ using Isaly’s Chipped Ham – (Or Use Your Favorite Ham Chopped Very Thin)
Growing up in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area, as a child we always had Isaly’s ham BBQ’s at picnics and special events. Definitely a staple of every family summer picnic.
They were so popular because they were super-easy to make, delicious tasting, and pleased everyone at every age. Not to mention they were so low in cost, so it was one way to feed a large crowd with little money.
Isaly’s chip-chopped ham is the key, which explains why it withstands the test of time and still a crowd favorite today. This perfect ham was sliced so thin you could practically see right through it. If you can’t find Isaly’s chipped ham, use your favorite ham sliced very thin.
Here is how you make the perfect picnic ham BBQ in under 10 minutes.
Easy Ham BBQ's made with chipped ham. Delicious and Simple to Prepare.
- 1 lb. Isaly's Chipped Ham
- BBQ SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup Heinz ketchup
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- dash of Worcestershire
- Using a medium sauce pan, bring the BBQ sauce ingredients to a light simmer.
- Let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chipped ham and stir to coat.
- Let cook on low heat for a few minutes.
Tips on Making the Traditional Ham BBQ’s –
- Use Isaly’s Chipped ham or the cheapest brand of ham you can find shaved thin.
- Always use small cheap buns, it’s all about the ham.
- Don’t use water in the sauce!
- Taste the sauce after everything has been added, add a little extra brown sugar or vinegar depending on your taste.
- If you don’t have yellow mustard, add about 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard.
- Try to use Heinz ketchup if possible.
- Don’t try to be neat – sloppy is ok, just have extra napkins.
- Serve macaroni salad and about 12 jello salads and you have yourself a traditional Pittsburgh picnic!
It’s actually fun to make these Ham BBQ’s and something we look forward to at the start of every Memorial Day – So from us to you –
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!
Do you want to try another Pittsburgh favorite? Try our quick and delicious spaghetti with ground beef meat sauce!