We love mashed potatoes, and one of our favorite recipes is definitely Garlic Redskin Mashed Potatoes. Red Skinned potatoes, heavy cream, butter and some fresh garlic. This recipe makes the best mashed potatoes ever! Serve them as an awesome side dish for just about every recipe out there!
Redskins Mashed P0tatoes make for a great side dish for just about any recipe including your favorite fish recipe. These garlic mashed potatoes also work really well for your holiday dinner table. Christmas dinner with ham and garlic mashed potatoes or even jazz up Thanksgiving with creamy redskin potatoes.
What Ingredients are Needed for Redskin Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes – medium sized red skinned potatoes.
- Butter – we use salted butter.
- Heavy Cream – use heavy cream, but you can also substitute half and half. Melt butter in heavy cream before mashing the potatoes. This can easily be done in the microwave.
- Garlic – use fresh garlic that has been peeled and cut in half before cooking with the potatoes. Or, you can roast the garlic in the oven.
- Salt – Salt is important in mashed potatoes as it enhances the potato flavor.
- Pepper – use as little or as much as your taste buds prefer!
How To Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes using Red Potatoes
Step 1. First, cut the potatoes into quarters and then rinse them in cold water. Try to keep all of the pieces uniform in size.
Step 2. Fill a medium to large pot with cold water and add about 2 teaspoons of salt. Add potato pieces and garlic to the pot and turn heat to medium-high.
Step 3. Bring water to a light boil; reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Do not cover the potatoes while cooking.
Step 4. Drain potatoes and garlic and put back in the pan. Let pan sit on warm stove for about 60 seconds or until the excess water has been absorbed.
Step 5. Add warm cream and melted butter to the pan, lightly salt and pepper. Mash potatoes using a potato masher. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Delicious Redskin Mashed Potatoes cooked with garlic
- 2.5 lbs. Red Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 6 cloves Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
First, wash the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Try to keep all the pieces uniform in size.
Fill a medium to large pot with cold water and add about 2 teaspoons of salt. Turn heat to medium-high and add potato pieces and garlic to the pot.
Bring water to a light boil; reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
Drain potatoes and garlic and put back in the same pan. Let pan sit on warm stove for about 60 seconds or until the excess water has been absorbed.
Add in the warm cream and melted butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mash potatoes with a potato masher until creamy.
Serve potatoes hot.
Best Mashed Potato Tips
- Fill your pot with cold water and lightly salt.
- Make sure your potatoes are cut evenly as this ensures they are all done cooking at the same time.
- Bring to a light boil and then reduce heat. Don’t over boil as the potatoes need a gentle cook.
- Drain potatoes and then put back into the same pan. Let sit on the warm stove for a few seconds to absorb any leftover water.
- Mash potatoes as soon a possible after cooking with your warmed cream and butter. Warm the cream in the microwave before mashing.
How to Use Oven Roasted Garlic in Your Mashed Potatoes
Oven roasted garlic is delicious and easy to prepare. After the garlic is finished roasting, gently scoop or push out about half of the garlic and add to the cooked and ready to mash potatoes along with the heavy cream and butter.
- Preheat Oven or Toaster Oven to 400 Degrees.
- You will Need – One head of garlic and Extra virgin olive oil
- Do not break garlic apart but cut 1/4 inch off of the top of clove. Remove the outer papery layer.
- Lay on a piece of foil and drizzle with a few teaspoons of olive oil.
- Fold foil edges until tightly crimped and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool and then press on the bottom of a clove to push cooked garlic out of its paper.
OR YOU CAN
- Separate each garlic clove and leave papery part on. Lay pieces on foil and drizzle with oil. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
Redskin Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
Let cream cheese sit out for about 1/2 hour before using in the mashed potatoes. When mixing the potatoes, cut the cream cheese into smaller pieces and add along with the warm cream and butter. Don’t forget to lightly salt and pepper.
Why We Love Red Potatoes
Red potatoes are less starchy than their cousins the Russets. This gives them a heavier texture that compliments meats like beef, fish or chicken. Red skinned potatoes are also filled with fiber and many nutrients.
How many Calories in Red Potatoes?
There are about 300 calories in 1 lb. of red potatoes.
Can Milk be Substituted for Heavy Cream?
Yes, milk can be substituted but try to use whole milk as it will add more texture and flavor.
How Many Potatoes Do You Use Per Person?
Typically, we use 1/2 lb. of raw potatoes per person and then add a little extra for those that like a bigger serving.
What to Serve with Redskin Mashed Potatoes?
Serve a good steak like a Club Steak and a side of steamed asparagus.
We recommend serving this delicious redskin mashed with one of our many beef and chicken main dishes:
Love Mashed Potatoes as Much as We Do? Learn how to make the best mashed potatoes ever.