Easy Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Chicken Cacciatore is an old Italian recipe with many different variations, but the basic recipe is chicken pieces braised in a delicious tomato-based sauce. Commonly referred to as a “hunter stew” because most of the ingredients were hunted or foraged from the land.
You don’t have to add the mushrooms or green peppers, but they definitely add to the flavor of the dish. Wine can also be your preference as this chicken cacciatore dish works nicely with red, white or a decent sherry wine.
Delicious Chicken Cacciatore makes a delicious and low cost meal for dinner.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, cleaned and chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 4 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a pint-size food storage bag, and shake chicken to coat. In a large, nonstick skillet, melt the butter with 1 Tbsp. of oil and lightly brown the chicken pieces. Remove chicken pieces from skillet. Add additional olive oil to the skillet and add onions; cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in green pepper and garlic cooking for about 3 minutes. Stir in sherry and bring to a light simmer. Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and oregano. Lightly salt & pepper while bringing to a simmer. Return chicken to skillet.
- Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Braising means to “brown” and then simmer in a liquid. The floured chicken is browned in a little oil and butter and then gently simmered in a delicious tomato sauce with garlic and onions.
After removing the braised chicken to a plate, cook onions and green pepper in additional oil Don’t forget to lightly salt & pepper!
Chicken Cacciatore is an Italian chicken dish where the chicken is braised in a tomato based sauce with plenty of onions and garlic. The sauce is delicious with bits of green pepper and fresh mushrooms.
A basic salad makes a great side dish for this chicken recipe. You can serve the Cacciatore over rice, but we love to serve this chicken over cooked egg noodles.