Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies are an important part of any Christmas or Thanksgiving holiday table because they decorate the table so beautifully, and who can resist a delicious cream cheese sugar cookie during the holidays!
Sugar cookies also play an important role on the “Pittsburgh Cookie Table” tradition. You can read more about that tradition here — > Pittsburgh Cookie Table Tradition.
Since we are from Pittsburgh, PA, we have often been asked to make cookies – and we love these heart shaped cookies to add a little romance to the table!
But we love these cream cheese sugar cookies because they delicious and certainly decadent!
- 4 sticks of butter softened
- 1 package of cream cheese softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add to the bowl sugar, egg yolks and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add the flour.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- Roll dough out on a well-floured surface about 1/4" thick. Cut out cookie shapes. Sprinkle with decorative sugar. Place on a greased cookie sheet about 1" apart. Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on thickness and your oven.
Let cookies sit on cookie sheet for one minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
Flour is your friend when rolling out the cookies.
Makes about 3 dozen.
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies are also delicious with butter cream frosting.
Easy Butter Cream Frosting
3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 tablespoons milk, divided
Combine 1-1/2 cups sugar, butter, shortening, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of milk in a medium mixing bowl; beat until smooth. Slowly add the remaining sugar; keep beating until smooth and fluffy. Add additional milk if needed and a few drops of food coloring.
Storing Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies:
Store in an airtight container for about 1 week.
Freezing Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies:
Layer the cookies in a container with sheets of waxed paper in between each layer. Simply remove the day before your party, wedding or event.