Basic Homemade Family and Picnic Creamy Coleslaw
There are definitely a few things that are a MUST at picnics or at least should be served at MOST picnics, and one of them is of course fresh homemade coleslaw! (The other ones are macaroni salad and potato salad.)
Not the kind of coleslaw that come out of a bag, but the kind of coleslaw you get when you grate a fresh head of green cabbage and mix it with a creamy dressing.
Coleslaw can be used in so many different ways, from a side dish to hamburgers and hot dogs, to a crunchy topping on our pulled pork sandwiches.
Coleslaw is possibly the perfect summer side dish because it goes so well with just about everything.
- One thing you have to watch out for when making coleslaw is to try and keep everything as dry as possible. Cabbage is like a big sponge and will soak up as much water as it is given leaving you with potentially soggy coleslaw.
- Never wash the cabbage, just gently pull off a few of the outer leaves and discard.
- Wash and peel the carrots before grating, but make sure they are as dry as possible. Keep water off of the kitchen counters and also your hands.
- Grating the cabbage can be done a day in advance. The hard part can be done a day ahead, so you are not trying to grate cabbage right before the party or picnic.
Simple Coleslaw Dressing: Marzetti’s Dressing and Mayonnaise combined makes for the perfect slaw dressing. Not too sweet because the mayonnaise balances it out perfectly.
Ingredients Needed for Coleslaw with Simple Coleslaw Dressing:
- Head of Green Cabbage
- Marzetti’s Slaw Dressing
- Mayonnaise – How to make homemade mayonnaise
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Simple Coleslaw:
Step 1. Cut the cabbage into 4 quarters and then cut away the hard center core.
Step 2. Using the large holes on a grater, grate the cabbage and the carrot. Place the grated cabbage and carrots in a bowl and lightly salt & pepper.
Step 3. Mix together the Marzetti’s Slaw Dressing and the Mayonnaise. Mix dressing into the grated cabbage and carrots.
Step 4. Place in a bowl and it’s ready to serve!
Family Favorite recipe - Basic Creamy ColeSlaw - Should be at every picnic!
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
- 2/3 cup Marzettis Slaw Dressing
- 2/3 cup Mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
Grate the cabbage until you get about 5-6 cups.
Grate the carrot until you get about 3/4 cup.
Mix the cabbage and carrot together and place in a large resealable bag.
Leave in the fridge over night.
hours before you are ready to eat, pour cabbage mixture into a medium bowl.
Mix the slaw dressing with the mayonnaise and pour over cabbage mixture.
Mix everything together using a fork.
Cover and put back in the fridge for 2 hours.
Add plenty of the salt and pepper about 5 minutes BEFORE SERVING.
Pick a firm green head of cabbage and some nice organic carrots.
To Make in Advance: Grate the cabbage and carrots the day before serving the coleslaw. Leave in a large resealable bag overnight. Mix with dressing 2 hours before you are ready to serve. Add salt & pepper right before serving. Mix well.
What to Do with Leftover Coleslaw?
Leftover coleslaw keeps very well and actually can get a little bit better if it has time to rest in the refrigerator. Put any leftovers into an airtight container and keep for about 5-6 days.
- See how delicious your pulled pork sandwiches can be with freshly made coleslaw.