One of our favorite family recipes for the popular air fryer is yummy Air Fryer Chicken Legs!
Air Fryer Chicken Legs
Save money this week on an easy chicken leg recipe that is a quick and delicious family meal.
These crispy and succulent air fryer drumsticks are way healthier than traditionally deep-fried drumsticks and way easier to make. The air fryer makes them super crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside and best of all it keeps the mess to a minimum.
These dark meat drumsticks come together with melted butter, sesame seeds, and Chick Fil A Polynesian sauce for a hearty and tangy crispy chicken dish.
This recipe for air fryer drumsticks is sure to be a family favorite. Who can resist a crispy drumstick? Leftovers are great for the lunchboxes the next day as they can be eaten hot or cold.
These drumsticks are perfect for a busy weeknight or a weekend meal. You can also serve them as an appetizer at your next dinner party.
Why You’ll Love These Air Fryer Chicken Legs
These air fryer drumsticks come together easily and quickly and best of all there are no pots and pans to clean up! How amazing is that? The Chick Fil A Polynesian sweet and sour sauce gives the chicken a strong, tangy flavor that everyone will love.
A real family-friendly meal the kids can eat with their fingers.
Ingredients To Make Air Fryer Chicken Legs
Chicken Legs – You can use chicken legs or chicken breasts for this recipe. You’ll need around 6 depending on their size. You can also use chicken wings but you may need more than 6 as they are usually smaller than legs or breasts.
Butter – I used unsalted butter but salted also works. You’ll need around ¼ cup melted. You can melt the butter in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Sesame Seeds – Sesame seeds give these drumsticks a nice crunch. You can toast them for extra flavor.
Chick Fil A Polynesian Sauce –This sweet and sour sauce adds a tangy flavor. You’ll need around ¼ cup. You can also put some aside for dipping.
Helpful Tools To Make Air Fryer Drumsticks
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Air fryer
- Baking sheet
- Pastry brush
How To Make Air Fryer Drumsticks
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees.
- Coat the chicken legs with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Air fry for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken legs from the air fryer.
- Smother drumsticks with the Polynesian Sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Turn them over to coat them really well.
- Place the drumsticks back into the air fryer for 3-5 minutes depending on your desired crispiness.
All About the Air Fryer
This newest kitchen appliance has become the new go-to appliance for quick cooking and baking.
An air fryer is a countertop appliance that is used as a substitute for deep frying. The fan circulates the air so it cooks meat nice and crisp on the outside while maintaining a soft and tender inside. It also speeds up the baking process, so your special treats are ready in no time at all.
I find cooking in the air fryer saves not just cooking time but clean-up time as well.
How to Make Homemade Polynesian Sauce
Homemade sauces are easy to make. If you don’t have the ingredients to make a Polynesian sauce, your favorite BBQ sauce will work as well.
- 1/2 cup French or Catalina dressing
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
Easy and Delicious Air Fryer Chicken Legs for Weekday Family Meal
- 6 Chicken Legs
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Chick Fil A Polynesian Sauce
Pre-heat air fryer to 390 degrees.
Coat the chicken legs with the melted butter using a brush.
Air fry for 20 minutes.
Remove chicken legs from air fryer.
Smother drumsticks with Polynesian Sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Place back onto the air fryer for 3-5 minutes depending on your desired crispy-ness.
Variations of Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Use different cuts of meat and coat them with the Polynesian sauce and sesame seeds.
- Choose a different Chick Fil A sauce: honey mustard, sweet and spicy sriracha or check out your local grocery store for other options.
- Coat the drumsticks in olive or avocado oil instead of butter.
- Pick up some ranch or barbeque sauce for dipping the drumsticks.
- Sprinkle the drumsticks with chopped parsley or add some spice with hot chili flakes.
Tips & Tricks
- Keep a bottle of sauce or marinade on hand so you can easily make this recipe.
- Make sure to preheat the air fryer.
- Don’t place too much food in the air fryer basket at once. You need the air to circulate and properly cook the chicken.
How to Store Air Fryer Drumsticks
You can store these air fryer drumsticks in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze them for up to 3 months. To defrost remove from the freezer and place in the fridge overnight. You can reheat them in the air fryer, toaster oven or regular oven.
How long do you cook chicken legs in the air fryer?
You’ll need 20-25 minutes to thoroughly cook the chicken drumsticks. Note the cooking time also depends on how thick your drumsticks are and the type of air fryer you have. Different models of air fryers cook up at different rates.
Can you put raw chicken in the air fryer?
Yes, you can put raw chicken in the air fryer. The air fryer does a great job of cooking chicken keeping it moist inside.
Try Some Of Our Other Delicious Recipes: