Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe
It’s time to pull out those slow cookers and cook up some healthy meals! Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken in on the menu for this week and we can’t wait!
This delicious, healthy slow cooker recipe is as easy as it is versatile. This flavor-packed chicken is perfect for burrito bowls, lettuce wraps, or over a bed of flavorful cilantro rice with lime.
Don’t skip the squeeze of fresh lime juice after cooking. It really brightens the flavors and pulls them all together.
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 10-oz. cans Rotel fire-roasted diced tomatoes & green chilies, undrained
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 limes quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
Add chicken thighs to the bottom of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker.
Top with tomatoes, black beans, garlic, jalapeno pepper, liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Stir to combine, making sure the chicken thighs are coated and submerged in the liquid.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before done cooking, remove lid and shred chicken while in the slow cooker with two forks. Stir to combine shredded chicken with other ingredients.
Cover and cook for remaining 30 minutes to allow chicken to absorb the flavors.
Remove lid and squeeze fresh lime juice into the crock. Add cilantro and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
To serve, spoon chicken mixture over plain brown rice or cilantro-lime rice. Top with cilantro-lime sauce if desired. Serve with remaining lime wedges. Enjoy!
For even more flavor, drizzle on some homemade cilantro-lime sauce.
Creamy Cilantro-Lime Sauce
For best results, prepare the cilantro-lime sauce the night before you need it to give the flavors a chance to blend. Planning ahead will also save time on those busy nights you want to get dinner on the table as quickly as possible.
Tip: You can also prepare the fajita seasoning in larger batches and store in an airtight container for later use.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning:
3 tablesoon chili powder
1-1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
1-2 tablespoons homemade fajita seasoning
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the fajita seasoning by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and stirring until thoroughly blended. Store any excess in an airtight container for later use.
- Prepare the cilantro-lime sauce by thoroughly combining all ingredients in a medium glass or other non-reactive bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make Leftover Mexican Shredded Chicken into a Wrap!