Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Fresh Thyme
We LOVE holiday foods, and these savory mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas table.
These rich and savory mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish for just about any holiday meal. However, they’re so quick and easy to make, you’ll want to enjoy them throughout the year.
What’s more, sweet potatoes are as nutritious as they are delicious. Did you know that sweet potatoes contain fewer calories and are higher in fiber, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C than their white counterparts?
Even more reasons to put some “sweets” on that Thanksgiving table!
Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Time-Saving Tip: The smaller the sweet potatoes are cut before boiling, the faster they will cook.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 (oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground all-spice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Delicious Potato Toppings –
Whipped cream cheese**
Walnuts halves, toasted
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain thoroughly and return to the pot.
- Add butter, cream cheese, and half & half to the sweet potatoes and mash with an immersion blender or a hand-held mixer. For a thinner consistency, add more half & half, if desired.
- Once the potatoes are creamy, stir in thyme leaves, cinnamon, and allspice until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately topped with a spoonful of whipped cream cheese and/or toasted walnuts, if desired. Enjoy!
**To make whipped cream cheese topping, blend 4 oz. softened cream cheese, 3 tablespoons half & half, and a dash of cinnamon with an immersion blender or hand-held mixer until light and fluffy. Cover and store any leftovers in the refrigerator and use wherever you enjoy regular cream cheese.
Want some Holiday Delicious? Try this Stuffed Pork Tenderloin this Year!