Healthy Fettuccine Alfredo with Cauliflower Sauce and Sweet Peas
Fettuccine Alfredo is one of the oldest ways to prepare pasta and one of the most delicious. Fettuccine Alfredo got its start with just 2 simple ingredients. Butter and Parmesan Cheese. And lots of it!
Nowadays we make Fettuccine Alfredo with lots of butter, heavy cream and fresh Parmesan Cheese. A typical restaurant meal of Fettuccine Alfredo would contain about 1,100 calories, 68 grams of fat and 41 grams of saturated fat. That’s an awful lot of fat & calories!
Here is a delicious sauce that is not only low in calories AND fat, but heavy in antioxidant nutrients!
- 1 small head cauliflower, cleaned and using florets only
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package fettuccine, use about 3/4
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 1 small fresh tomato, chopped
- Start the fettuccine and cook according to package directions, adding peas during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Fill the bottom of a saucepan with about 2-3 inches of water. Place your steamer basket in the pan and put in the garlic and cauliflower florets. Bring water to a light boil and cover. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft.
- Carefully add 3 cups of steamed cauliflower and the garlic to a blender.
- Add milk, chicken broth, Parmesan Cheese, salt and pepper to the blender.
- Blend until thick and creamy, adding a bit more broth if needed.
- Mix sauce in with cooked fettuccine and peas.
- Top with additional fresh Parmesan cheese and diced tomatoes.