Easy Swiss Steak for Kids
We love Swiss steak and here is a great recipe you and your whole family will love too. Adding a little pizza sauce to this recipe makes a steak dinner the kids will enjoy.
Swiss steak has been around for a very long time and is a favorite dish with many. Steak is simmered in onions and tomatoes to produce a delicious gravy that is then devoured over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
You don’t need a busy side dish with Swiss Steak, so serve with simple green beans.
To make Swiss steak, you typically use a round steak that has been pounded thin to tenderize the meat and then slow cooked in onions and tomatoes.
- 1-1/2 lbs. round steak
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can pizza sauce
- Combine flour, salt and pepper: pound into meat using a meat mallet.
- Brown pieces of steak in oil on both sides.
- Add onions to the skillet and cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes and pizza sauce. Cover; simmer on low for 1-1/2 hours.
Feel free to pop this Swiss steak in your oven and bake for 1-1/2 hours instead of cooking on your stove top if you prefer. Set oven temperature to about 325 degrees and bake until meat is tender.