Easy Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
Clean eating can be delicious and this recipe sure proves it! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C and a healthy option to add to your dinner table each week.
This chili is great to prepare anytime, but it somehow tastes just a little bit more delicious when the outdoor thermometer dips below freezing!
Even if you aren’t a big fan of the noble sweet potato, give this recipe a try and benefit from the nutritional boost it gives your body.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 4 cloves garlic, diced fine
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cleaned, seeds removed and chopped
- 3/4 lb. sirloin steak, cut into small pieces
- salt & pepper
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder, divided
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small lime
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut the steak and sweet potatoes into smaller pieces (small bite-sized )
- Using a deep skillet or a medium stock pan, saute onions in olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef to the pan and lightly salt and pepper. Brown for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle beef with 1 tablespoon of chili powder and add the garlic and jalapeno pepper to the pan.
- Stir through and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and water; stir and bring to a light boil. Cover; reduce heat and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, juice of lime, cumin and oregano.
- Bring to a light boil; reduce heat and cook for 35 minutes.
Cut the beef into small bite-sized pieces and the cooking time is much less.
Everything smells so delicious!
Read more on why we need to add more sweet potatoes to our diets!